Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

What I Think About While I Am Running For a VERY Long Time

It was around 5:15 am when I got up this morning to start preparing to go for a run. It truly was a battle as I looked over at my wife as she was sound asleep and I wish that I could be as well. Thoughts were pouring through my head like, " You can skip today , you have done well , you deserve to go back to bed" and "Maybe you are sick, you deserve to have a sick day". I fought it off and went downstairs to make a cup of coffee and start getting my body ready for an 18 mile run.

I got out the door around 6:30 am and started to go. I have to tell myself to conserve energy because not only do I have several miles ahead of me, I have decided to add some steep hills . I just tell myself to relax and listen to the music on my IPOD. The song that was on was "Trailorhood" by Toby Keith . I quickly let my mind wonder to the following topics (in no particular order):

  •  I think about how cool it is going to be to line up at a race that I have dreamed about running since I put on my first pair of running shoes . I imagine what it will be like to run the five boroughs of New York City with my brother . This keeps me going for a few miles this morning.
  • I question my training as well, I see what my friend is doing preparing for the same race and I think that I am doing too much too soon, that I might burn out or peak too early . I calm down by telling myself that if I want different results, then I have to train differently . 
  • I think about Syria and the issues that are there, I so badly want to post something about it on Facebook, but decide against it. I know I am sick of the political posts , including the anti-Obama posts, I just don't want to add to it. 
  • Then this comes on my IPOD: 
    I immediately think of my sister who is a big Parry Gripp fan. I haven't seen my sister in a while and hopefully she will be there to cheer me and my brother on on November 3rd.
  •  During my runs I process a lot about my life , I think about how proud I am of my son. I think he has found something he really likes in Cross Country. I hope it continues to be that way. I think of Melly and how fast she is growing up . I think a lot about my wife and how lucky I am that she still puts up with me after 15 years of marriage and almost 20 years of being together.
  • I also get many Blog entry ideas, which I always forget after I am done. If I can figure out a way to blog while run I would be one happy man
  • When I run that is when I feel closest to my Dad who past away last year, I wonder if he is proud of me and of the changes I have made over the past few years. I also at the same time feel close to God and thank Him for giving me the opportunity to run . I don't go to church much anymore so my long runs have sort of taken over for that.  Some song usually triggers it , today it was this one.
  • Then it starts , the doubting. I try to talk myself out of finishing the run, that I have had enough. I spend the last few miles fighting this. Most of the time I finish, but sometimes I do let myself quit. What keeps me going is the fact that I like to post my workouts on Facebook , not that anyone really cares what I do, but by posting the workouts it keeps me honest. I don't want to admit to quitting .
I finally finish 18 miles in 2 hours and 36 minutes, time to re-hydrate, nap and take pain meds



No comments:

Post a Comment