Friday, November 30, 2012

Driving Drunk

On Tuesday November 27, 2012 there was a horrific accident right up the road from me where a 9 month old baby lost her life allegedly due to someone who got behind the wheel after having a few drinks. You can read about the story here in this Buffalo News article. If convicted of the DWI charge this would be this woman's second .

I have been reading posts on Facebook trashing this woman for what she has done and yesterday on the Tom Bauerle show (a local talk show host on the radio) this was the main topic of discussion. Many people were calling in disgusted about the accident. They have the right to be, it was a horrible accident that could have been prevented if she didn't get behind the wheel after having a few too many alcoholic drinks.

Although I am saddened by this , and I too agree that this woman should be punished to the full extent of the law if found guilty, there have been way too many times that I got behind the wheel of a car when I should not have. This could have easily been me, I was lucky ....extremely lucky and so were the people who shared the road with me while I was driving drunk.

I still do drink (much less than I use too) , and at times I have more than I can tolerate,but it has been a very long time since I have driven home drunk as a skunk, or even after drinking at all. I usually will plan ahead with a ride home with someone who hasn't drank, drink at home or walk home. Many times I think about the lives that I have put in danger and the lives that would change forever if I would have gotten into an accident and hurt or killed someone.

It would be hypocritical of me to chastise this woman about this unfortunate accident without seriously taking a hard look at myself and realize that that could have easily been me or could easily BE me if I make the wrong decision again.  

1 comment:

  1. D.J. I must wholeheartedly agree with you. I too have had too much to drink, and made the stupid choice of driving home. It also could have been me. I have been fortunate to not have been involved in an alcohol related accident.

    This person must be punished, If she is a repeat offender , she obviously has a problem and needs treatment.

    Time and Time again people make the tragic decision to drive. The laws DO need to be strengthened. First offense penalties are probably adequate. However repeat offenders LIFETIME loss of license. Sorry, but we can't trust folks who've proved they are going to continue putting others at risk. Maybe I am wrong but what is going to deter people from Drinking/Driving ?

    I definitely feel terrible for the family, and also the first responders who deal with these accidents far too often.

    It's time for society as a whole to start thinking of others... The "me" attitude is ruining everything.

    Drink Responsibly and Call a friend- or a taxi !!!! Hopefully I will remember to do so myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete